Tehran, May 8 : A year after the violation of JCPOA by the United States and the lack of actions by the European parties in fulfilling their commitments towards Tehran to keep the 2015 nuclear deal,Iran has threatened Wednesday to resume higher enrichment of uranium in 60 days.
The tensions escalated further with deployment of U.S. aircraft carrier and a bomber wing to confront any threats coming from Tehran.Iranian President Hassan Rouhani announced that Tehran reduced its commitments under the nuclear deal formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
Iran has given a 60-day deadline to the European signatories to reverse the situation; otherwise, Tehran would take more steps in modifying its commitments.
In a televised address, President Hassan Rouhani also said Iran would stop exporting excess uranium and heavy water from its nuclear program — two requirements of the deal. He did not elaborate on the degree to which Iran is prepared to enrich uranium, which at high levels of enrichment can be used in nuclear weapons.
Rouhani said Iran wants to negotiate new terms with remaining partners in the deal but acknowledged that the situation is dire. “We felt that the nuclear deal needs a surgery, and the painkiller pills of the last year have been ineffective,” Rouhani said. “This surgery is for saving the deal, not destroying it.”
The General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran in a statement extended its strong support for Tehran’s move to reduce its nuclear obligations.
During last years, the Islamic Republic has consistently shown that it has complied with all its obligations that the results of inspections and the approval of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) for the peaceful activities of the Islamic Republic of Iran is a proof of this.
The statement of the General Staff of the Armed Forces emphasized that ‘under such circumstances, the Islamic Republic of Iran, in a decision based on three principles of dignity, wisdom and expediency’, has made operational the reduction of its nuclear commitments and is determined to take appropriate measures to protect the rights of the nation of Iran with full authority.’
In its statement, the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran, while expressing its supporting of this decision, assured the Iranian people that, by relying on the authority of the system and internal power, the strengthening and consolidation of the power and the more attention paid to the economic resistance it will pass from this difficult juncture and once again frustrates the enemy in pursuit of cruel goals.
The deal was signed by the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council in 2015 plus Germany, but Washington unilaterally pulled out of it last year.
The tensions between Washington and Tehran heightened after United States has designated Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guard Corps as a terrorist organization, despite warnings from U.S. military and intelligence officials that this may hamper U.S. action and work with allies and other countries.
For the first time ever, the US has taken such a step against an official foreign military institution,Iran’s Revolutionary Guards, which carry out operations across the Middle East, train Arab Shiite militias and oversee businesses in Iran.
Iran responded by officially declaring the US a “terrorist government”and termed the US CENTCOM a terrorist group as well.