News

Iran threatens to surpass uranium enrichment limits, White House terms it ‘nuclear blackmail’

June 17:  Iran has threatened to violate the central element of the nuclear deal by surpassing the uranium stockpile limit set under the nuclear deal agreed with world powers from June 27.

This statement has been issued after Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on May 8 provided 60 days to the remaining signatories – the United Kingdom, France, Germany, China and Russia to protect Iran’s oil and banking sectors from reimposed US sanctions.
“Today the countdown to pass the 300 kilograms reserve of enriched uranium has started and in 10 days time we will pass this limit,” Iran’s atomic energy organization spokesman Behrouz Kamalvandi said at a press conference broadcast live.

Tehran stopped complying with some elements of the nuclear agreement, the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) in May, a year after the United States unilaterally withdrew from the deal. Under it, Iran had agreed to limit its nuclear activities in exchange for the lifting of international sanctions.

Atomic energy agency has said the country plans to quadruple production of low-level enriched uranium and will reach the limit of the stockpile allowed under the nuclear deal within days.

The spokesman for Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization (AEOI), Behrouz Kamalvandi, said Iran will reach the allowed 300kg level of enriched uranium at levels mandated by the deal on June 27 and we will go further from that ceiling, not only that but we will also increase production drastically. After we pass the limit of 300kg the pace.
A White House National Security Council spokesman said the plan amounted to “nuclear blackmail” and must be met with increased international pressure.

Tehran stopped complying with some elements of the nuclear agreement, the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) in May, a year after the United States unilaterally withdrew from the deal. Under it, Iran had agreed to limit its nuclear activities in exchange for the lifting of international sanctions.

U.S.-Iran tensions have escalated  following accusations by U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration that Tehran last Thursday attacked two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman, a vital oil shipping route. Iran denies having any role.

Iran‘s Armed Forces Chief of Staff, Major General Mohammad Baqeri, on Monday denied Tehran was behind the attacks and said if the Islamic Republic decided to block the strategic Strait of Hormuz shipping lane it would do so publicly.

On May 8, President Hassan Rouhani announced that Iran would stop observing restrictions on its stocks of enriched uranium and heavy water agreed under the 2015 nuclear deal.

He said the move was in retaliation for the unilateral US withdrawal from the accord a year earlier.Rouhani said that his ultimatum last month was intended to “save the (deal), not destroy it”.

Under the agreement, Iran pledged to reduce its nuclear capacities for several years and allow international inspectors inside the country to monitor its activities in return for relief from international sanctions.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

To Top